Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My First Baby Shower Cake! :)

Yay! I did it. I made my first Baby Shower Cake. 
(if you know me personally, you'll know that I made it about... 3 weeks ago? but shhh.. don't tell anyone I'm a lazy blogger!)

Anyways, on to the delicious details and yummy pictures!

There she is! Well, Ahem - HE is. 

I'm so proud. I made the fondant myself! And oh. my. goodness. It tastes/feels/looks/works so much better than store bought fondant! I'm never buying fondant ever again. Now I will admit that the baby isn't the most detailed... but I will openly admit that my figurine sculpting skills are.. um.. poor. Maybe one day I'll get better, but until then, I'm satisfied with my simple ball baby.  =] 
As for the cakes insides... How about Chocolate Cake with Caramel Buttercream? Yes! It was delicious. The Caramel Buttercream was actually an experiment turned AMAZING. 
Now, I wasn't able to attend the Shower, but I heard the cake was a hit. And really, a cake gone, is an awesome compliment!  =]

Special Update **
As you all know, I am fairly a beginner at cakes and love baking with my entire soul! I (and others) have realized that I am at a level at which I am able to start charging for my cakes. Anyone who has ever been to a grocery store knows that ingredients aren't getting cheaper.. and its taking a toll on my poor newlywed bank account. My cakes are definitely not at a $5 a serving price, but will at least be enough to cover my costs. I will let all of you know the price range as soon as I make up my mind! Thank you all so much for your support!




[[Big thanks to Sariah Finn over @ S Squared Photo for the awesome pictures of my cake!]]

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! This was seriously the yummiest cake I have ever had! Anytime you want to test one out call me. lol! You have crazy mad skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime! Your photos are amazing. Thank you Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute cake! I don't think your sculpting skills are poor at all :)

    I still haven't made my own fondant, but I'm planning on doing it very soon!

    www.brisbanebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! Love the quilted look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both! Even though I will think my sculpting skills are poor for a long time. haha. Make your own fondant! Its SO easy and cheap, and BETTER! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that cake! Thank you thank you thank you! My mom and me both agreed that that frosting was the most amazing frosting we had ever had... MMMMmmmmm! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Eliza! Funny story about that frosting, I just winged it! I didn't even know if it was going to hold up.. but I'm so glad I did. I loved it also! :)

    ReplyDelete